What does Renshu – Kai 練習会 mean?
Renshu simply means practice.
When you breakdown the Japanese kanji, however, the meaning becomes deeper.
The first kanji in this word is ren 練:
- The right hand side of the kanji combines the meaning of bundle and dividing or sorting things, and only keeping the good ones.
- The left hand side of the ren kanji implies polishing and refining.
- Together it means polish, forge, temper, drill, train, discipline.
The second kanji is shu 習:
- The kanji combines 羽 (wings) with an abbreviated form of自(self).
- It symbolizes movement; wings repeatedly moving.
Renshu is the idea of studying and repeating something over and over again, to learn it (to know it). One wing of training can be considered the aspect of studying, the other wing is the practice; without both, there is no flight.
Renshu Kai is a practice group which focuses on repetitive practice in order to find balance, peace, and harmony.